Why study Mathematics and Computer Science?
Humans have been fascinated by mathematics for centuries, its study provides the foundation for a wide array of careers and advanced studies. As a liberal art fundamental to a true education, Mathematics, and its modern cousin Computer Science, trains students to think analytically and communicate clearly and logically.
The study of Mathematics and Computer Science prepares students for careers in actuarial science, banking and finance, cryptography, data science, software engineering, (higher-) education, work with non-profit organizations, and more. In addition to pursuing careers like these, recent graduates have also been admitted to competitive graduate programs in both Mathematics and Computer Science.
The Mathematics/Computer Science program at Saint Mary’s College prepares graduates to:
1. Demonstrate a mastery of the core SMC undergraduate mathematics/CS curriculum.
2. Apply appropriate definitions, theorems, and problem-solving techniques to address problems of various levels.
3. Communicate mathematical, algorithmic, and computational ideas and concepts correctly and clearly in both oral and written forms using logical reasoning and appropriate terminology and symbolic representation;
4. Undertake independent scholarly investigations using appropriate resources.
5. Integrate technological tools and resources into their mathematical and computational writing, study, and investigations.
Why study at Saint Mary’s?
Saint Mary’s College of California is one of the oldest colleges in the Western U.S. It is situated in the peaceful, scenic, and secure foothills of the Moraga Valley. Classes at Saint Mary’s College are small and professors enjoy working closely with students. Our students have access to tutoring, employment, and summer research opportunities in the Department, and our graduates are active in an extraordinarily wide range of careers.