Guide to First-Year Calculus Courses
Math 27: Calculus I
- This is a standard first-semester calculus course. It is required for all lab science majors.
- Enrollment requires Math Placement Level 4.
Math 13: Calculus with Elementary Functions I
- This is the first half of a two-semester course on Calculus I which incorporates a review/study of related precalculus topics.
- A student who completes Math 13 followed by Math 14 gets credit for Calculus I.
- Enrollment requires Math Placement Level 3 or higher.
If your major requires Calculus I, but you are placed in Level 1 or Level 2, you are required to take Math 12 first in order to put yourself in the best position to succeed in calculus.
Math 12: Math Readiness for Calculus
- Prepares students to take Math 13 and Math 14 to satisfy their calculus requirement.
- Does not satisfy the Core Mathematical Understanding learning goal.
Please consult the following table to determine the most efficient way to schedule your required courses given your placement level.[table “” not found /]